DeMille Withdraws From the City Council Race After Its Revealed That He Violated Election Law

Tom DeMille (Photo by Jon Viscott)

Tom DeMille, an unsuccessful candidate in five West Hollywood City Council elections, has withdrawn from the Nov. 3 race after it was revealed that he filed a false candidate registration form.

On Form 410, the “Statement of Organization Recipient Committee” form, DeMille listed one of his neighbors as his campaign treasurer. That neighbor has denied that he is serving as the treasure of DeMille’s campaign or was asked to. Filing such a false registration statement would appear to be a violation of. California election law, which states that a “person who files or submits for filing a nomination paper or declaration of candidacy knowing that it or any part of it has been made falsely is punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months or two or three years or by both the fine and imprisonment.”

Kevin Ross told City Clerk Yvonne Quarker that he had learned he was listed as DeMille’s campaign treasurer. “I have become aware that my name may be listed as treasurer for Tom DeMille’s 2020 candidate run,” Ross said in the email message. “I did not authorize my name to listed and Icertainly did not sign my name to any forms. If my signature appears on any current documents I assure you I did not sign them personally. Tom is my neighbor and I thought a friend, but to do this without my knowledge is complete fraud and I will not participate.”

Tom Demille in blackface

Quarker responded to Ross’s email with a message saying that she had spoken to DeMille and that he stated that he will be submitting a form to terminate his campaign committee to the Secretary of State and with her office.

DeMille confirmed to WEHOville that he had used Ross’s name without his permission, saying he had assumed that Ross would have agreed to serve as his treasurer. His withdrawal from the race means there now are 10 candidates running for two seats that currently are filled by John Duran and John Heilman, both of whom are up for re-election. DeMille said that he has been discussing working for John Duran’s campaign, which he said has offered him $1,200 to post yard signs promoting Duran’s candidacy.

DeMille is an actor who appeared on “Star Trek: Deep Space Nine” as a Klingon named Argon. His most recent City Council election race was in 2019. He put himself in the middle of controversy last year when he publicly defended Virginia Gov. Ralph Northam, who was criticized for having appeared in a 1984 medical school yearbook wearing blackface. In his defense of Northam, DeMille shared a photo of himself in blackface in a movie he appeared in called “Panther.”

CORRECTION: An earlier version of this story erred in saying that City Clerk Yvonne Quarker had confirmed that Tom DeMille said he will be submitting a form to terminate his campaign to the Secretary of State and with her office. In fact, DeMille said (which Quarker confirmed) that he would be terminating the campaign ‘committee’ whose officer he listed as Kevin Ross without Ross’s knowledge. The story has been corrected. DeMille has told WEHOville that he now will not be running in the Nov. 3 City Council election but has not notified the City Clerk of that.

0 0 vote
Article Rating

12 Comments
Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
John Daniel Harrington-Tyrell
John Daniel Harrington-Tyrell
1 month ago

When s person shows you who they are, believe them

Ryan Gierach
1 month ago

Stupid is as stupid does.
Dumb as a sack of hammers.

WeHo Resident
WeHo Resident
2 months ago

“punishable by a fine not exceeding one thousand dollars ($1,000) or by imprisonment in the state prison for 16 months or two or three years or by both the fine and imprisonment.”

LOCK HIM UP!!
LOCK HIM UP!!

WeHo Resident
WeHo Resident
2 months ago

You’d think that after FIVE ATTEMPTS and FIVE LOSSES he’d get the hint that the residents of WeHo don’t want him on the city council. Pack it up Tom, we the residents of WeHo have told you NO THANK YOU FIVE TIMES now. NO MEANS NO!!

Jeffery Aubel
Jeffery Aubel
2 months ago

larry and jerome should follow suit. It’s not like that have a chance anyway.

W. WeHo
W. WeHo
2 months ago

Uh oh, that is 3 more votes for Larry block… hahahah

JF1
JF1
2 months ago

Maybe now he’ll disappear and spare the residents of this city from his rambling, angry, incoherent ramblings at City Council meetings.

TomSmart
TomSmart
2 months ago

Just bizarre that he’d assume Ross would be ok with it. Why not simply ask? Oh well, he had no chance of winning anyway.

WeHoMikey
WeHoMikey
2 months ago
Reply to  TomSmart

“bizarre” is apt in so many ways.

Randy
Randy
2 months ago

Assuming there will be candidate forums, this is good news, as we won’t have to waste time listening to DeMille, as we do, at so many City Council meetings.

“… he had assumed that Ross would have agreed to serve as his treasurer.” That isn’t fraudulent, in the least.

Ham Shipey
Ham Shipey
2 months ago

nice smile

fastlanestranger
fastlanestranger
2 months ago
Reply to  Ham Shipey

I mean seriously. LOL