Gov. Newsom Orders an Immediate End to Indoor Dining in Restaurants

Marco’s Trattoria, which has long offered indoor and outdoor dining on Santa Monica Boulevard at Havenhurst

Responding to continued spikes in coronavirus cases and hospitalizations, Gov. Gavin Newsom today ordered a halt to indoor dining and barred other indoor activities at businesses such as wineries, museums and casinos in counties that have been on the state’s COVID-19 “watch list,” which includes Los Angeles County.

That order is a reversal of Newsom’s May 29 announcement that restaurants could offer in-door dining again so long as they followed rules intended to reduce the likelihood of transmission of the COVID-19 virus. A number of West Hollywood restaurants, which previously were limited to pick-up and take-out service only, had begun expected to host diners inside.

“The bottom line is, the spread of this virus continues at a rate that is particularly concerning,” Newsom said. “We’re seeing parts of the state where we are seeing an increase not only in the total number of positive cases but a significant increase in the total number of people that are getting tested that are testing positive, meaning the positivity rate, not just the total case rate, is beginning to go up to a degree that obviously generates some concern.”

In addition to shuttering many indoor business activities, Newsom also announced the creation of “multi-agency strike teams” that will target businesses that have been operating without meeting health guidelines — as he phrased it, businesses that have been “thumbing their nose” or “reticent” to take steps to protect employees and customers.

The strike teams will include various state agencies, including the Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control, CalOSHA, Department of Business Oversight, Department of Consumer Affairs and the California Highway Patrol.

“When we talk about compliance, this isn’t just talking about mask compliance, this is talking about health and safety in our meat-packing facilities,” Newsom said. “One should not have to put their life at risk to go to work as an essential worker.

“… It’s more education. I’m not coming out with a fist. We want to come out with an open heart, recognize the magnitude of these modifications … and what it means to small businessmen and women, what it means to communities, what it means to the economic vibrancy and health of our state, and in turn our nation.”

In ordering a halt to indoor business activities, Newsom said affected businesses in the 19-county “watch list” area are not being ordered to close entirely, but instead restrict themselves to outdoor operations. For restaurants without outdoor dining space, the order will likely force many to revert to carry-out operations.

In West Hollywood, the city is granting temporary permits to restaurants for outdoor dining areas. One of those that recently has begun offering dining outdoors is Rocco’s, the bar and restaurant on the southwest corner of Santa Monica and San Vicente Boulevards. Marco’s restaurant on Santa Monica at Havenhurst has continuing operating its outdoor dining area as has Kitchen 24, but both will now have to again end indoor dining.

“This doesn’t mean restaurants shut down, it means we’re trying to take many activities, these concentrated activities, and move them outdoors, which is a way of mitigating the spread of this virus,” Newsom said.

Rocco’s bar and restaurant has installed a sidewalk dining area to adhere to COVID-19 distancing rules (Photo courtesy of Marco Colantonio)

The ban on indoor operations will last for three weeks. The order affects restaurants, wineries and tasting rooms, movie theaters, family entertainment centers, zoos and museums, and cardrooms. Newsom said the state is working with tribal nations that operate casinos to determine guidelines that could allow them to continue operating.

Newsom had already ordered bars closed in Los Angeles County, but he ordered Wednesday that bars also be closed in all other counties on the state’s watch list. In Southern California, Orange and Riverside counties have already ordered bars to close ahead of the Fourth of July weekend. San Diego County has also ordered a bar closure, even though it is not on the watch list.

Counties earn spots on the state’s watch list by falling short on select criteria, such as the number of coronavirus cases per 100,000 residents and the overall positivity rate among people tested for the virus.

Newsom fell short of ordering all beaches to close across the state for the holiday weekend, but he closed all parking facilities at state beaches in Southern California and the Bay Area. In counties that have ordered local beach closures, state beaches will also close, Newsom said.

Los Angeles County has ordered a closure of all beaches for the Fourth of July weekend. Orange and San Diego counties have not issued such an order, but Ventura County also plans to close its beaches.

The governor also encouraged — but did not mandate — all counties on the watch list to consider cancelling all Fourth of July fireworks displays to prevent large-scale gatherings of people that could lead to spread of the virus. Los Angeles County has already issued such an order, but Orange County has not, although Laguna Beach has already voluntarily canceled its display.

“We want to again remind each and every one of you that if we want to be independent from COVID-19, we have to be much more vigilant in terms of maintaining our physical distancing from others and be much more vigilant as it relates to being in situations where we are transmitting COVID-19,” he said.

0 0 vote
Article Rating

11 Comments
Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
View all comments
enemyofthestate
enemyofthestate
3 months ago

I have nothing but contempt for Governor Brylcreem.

Pat
Pat
3 months ago

LOL Thanks for the laugh.

I’ve been saying all along, all he’s got is good TV Hair.

Chris
Chris
3 months ago

At this point it’s too far gone to regain any control and these attempts to regain some control are only leading to further confusion about what is acceptable, what is morally right, what is allowed and what the reality is.

Rob Bergstein
Rob Bergstein
3 months ago

I wonder if there is a way to power clean the alleys behind some of our restaurants, move the dumpsters & then allow for outside dining in back?

Michael Grace
Michael Grace
3 months ago

The Governor is a total joke. This is the guy that was building the bullet train from Bakersfield to Modesto. At 1.9 billion a mile. As for businesses in West Hollywood, it’s over. It’s very expensive to keep opening and closing restaurants. The majority of the new cases are people under 40. The hospitals are crowded nationally because everybody who had to have surgery’s has gone back to get it. The restaurants probably didn’t cause this. But all those people marching around the city and looting and everything that weren’t wear masks. And painting idiotic signs in the middle of… Read more »

SEE
SEE
3 months ago
Reply to  Michael Grace

Where do you get your information?

Steve Too
Steve Too
3 months ago
Reply to  Michael Grace

As SEE mentions, not sure if what’s being quoted in your response is factual. The bullet train, for example, was started and primarily funded during the Jerry Brown administration.

Rarin
Rarin
3 months ago

How did Rocco’s get the city’s OK to build a fenced off area on a public sidewalk? Are all restaurants and bars going to be allowed to build seating areas on the sidewalk???

Greg
Greg
3 months ago

The Abbey & Rocco’s should be responsible and close. Let’s be honest, they’re bars operating through the outdoor restaurant loophole. They’re crowded with people partying.

Ham Shipey
Ham Shipey
3 months ago

Newsom is crushing the economy. Zero reason why these businesses can’t operate with fewer patrons. The grocery stores are packed.

Steve Too
Steve Too
3 months ago
Reply to  Ham Shipey

People are moving around with face coverings in supermarkets, which are a necessity. People need to take off theIt masks in restaurants and stay in one spot for up to an hour breathing recirculated air.