The Los Angeles County District Attorney’s Office is reviewing a potential criminal case against actor Kevin Spacey involving an alleged sexual assault in West Hollywood in 1992.
The review was confirmed today by a spokesperson for the D.A.’s Office. The potential case was presented April 5 by the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department. It is being considered by a task force established by the District Attorney’s Office to review allegations of sexual abuse in the entertainment industry.
No further details were provided. According to the sheriff’s department, detectives began investigating the case on Dec. 11, and it involved an alleged sexual assault of a man in West Hollywood in October 1992.
The date of the crime indicates the case may be outside the statute of limitations for filing of a criminal charge.
The two-time Oscar-winning actor has been under fire following allegations by a number of men that he behaved inappropriately toward them, including “Star Trek: Discovery” actor Anthony Rapp, who accused Spacey of making a sexual advance years ago in his New York apartment when Spacey was 26 and Rapp was 14.
Spacey publicly apologized to Rapp last October, saying he does not remember the encounter, which would have occurred more than 30 years ago.
“But if I did behave then as he describes, I owe him the sincerest apology for what would have been deeply inappropriate drunken behavior, and I am sorry for the feelings he describes having carried with him all these years,” Spacey said.
Spacey then revealed that he is gay.
Actor Richard Dreyfuss’ son, Harry, subsequently alleged in an account on Buzzfeed.com that Spacey groped him in 2008 while he, his father and Spacey were in an apartment while Spacey was directing his father in a play at the Old Vic in London. Spacey is under investigation by the U.K.’s Scotland Yard for three alleged sexual assaults.
Spacey’s publicist said in a statement last November that the actor was “taking the time necessary to seek evaluation and treatment.”
Netflix announced last year that it had severed all ties with Spacey and that it would not be involved with any further production of “House of Cards” that included him.
Spacey won an Oscar for best actor in 1999 for “American Beauty” and for best-supporting actor in 1996 for “The Usual Suspects,” along with a Golden Globe in 2015 for best actor in a TV series for “House of Cards.”
Following the allegations of sexual misconduct, Spacey was removed from his role in “All The Money in the World” — a role for which his replacement, Christopher Plummer, received an Academy Award nomination this year.