A Quarter of WeHo Residents Have Immigrated to the U.S.

One in four West Hollywood residents immigrated to the United States, double the national average. That is according to a new report by WeHo by the Numbers based on data from the U.S. Census Bureau’s American Community Survey. For smaller cities like West Hollywood, the Census Bureau combines several years of surveys to get a good estimate. The report uses numbers from 2010 through 2014.

weho by the numbers
David Warren

Among nearby cities, Los Angeles had the highest percentage of residents who were immigrants, 39%. The share was almost as high in Beverly Hills (36%) and Burbank (35%). West Hollywood was about 10 percentage points lower at 26%. Culver City and Santa Monica were a bit below that at 23%.

California as a whole had virtually the same percentage of residents who immigrated to the US (27%) as West Hollywood. However, the numbers for other California cities varied widely. They ranged from 1% in Tehama (Northern California) to 57% in Rosemead (Los Angeles County).

Among California cities, West Hollywood ranked in the 63rd percentile for the number of immigrants. That means that 63% of California cities had the same or a lower proportion of residents who immigrated to the US. The other 37% of cities had a higher proportion of immigrants.

Santa Monica and Culver City were very close to the middle among California cities: 51st and 54th percentiles. The other nearby cities ranked much higher. Burbank was in the 82nd percentile, Beverly Hills in the 84th percentile, and Los Angeles in the 88th percentile. That means that only 12% of California cities had a bigger proportion of immigrants than Los Angeles.

Some immigrant residents have gone through the naturalization process and become U.S .citizens. To find out about West Hollywood’s naturalization rate — or immigration/naturalization numbers for 461 California cities — see the full report, How many West Hollywood residents immigrated to the US?