West Hollywood and Israel are launching a joint HIV/AIDS task force.
The city of West Hollywood announced the Israel-West Hollywood HIV/AIDS Task Force on Thursday in a press release that named its objectives as:
- Establishing intergovernmental communication and cooperation between West Hollywood and relevant Israeli ministries on HIV/AIDS education, prevention and other best practices
- Connecting clinicians and researchers in West Hollywood and Israel to share clinical best practices
- Bringing together HIV/AIDS nonprofit organizations operating in West Hollywood and Israel
- Encouraging professional exchanges from the governmental, nonprofit and medical communities focusing on HIV/AIDS
- Supporting HIV/AIDS related cooperation between West Hollywood and Israeli educational institutions
The task force’s first event will take place on Thursday at 7 p.m. at Congregation Kol Ami, 1200 N. La Brea Ave. at Lexington. Members of the WeHo City Council will attend the event, which will include a ribbon-cutting ceremony.
“The [Israeli] Consulate is proud to work together with the city of West Hollywood and learn from their experiences producing public health policies and clinical best practices related to HIV/AIDS. We are also eager to show the medical breakthroughs coming out of Israel in the field of HIV/AIDS research,” David Siegel, Consul General of Israel, said in the release. “Israel is working to eradicate the virus and the Consulate is supporting the efforts of the scientists who strive to make this vision a reality.”