Food, face painting and film will all be part of National Night Out festivities on Tuesday evening in West Hollywood, where several neighborhood associations will hold block parties.
People in thousands of U.S. communities will take part in the National Night Out, promoted as a “night out against crime.”
“Approximately 2,000 West Hollywood residents are expected to celebrate in the streets in a show of unity against crime,” the city said in a press release.
To Laura Manukian, WeHo’s neighborhood services coordinator, the tangible benefits of Night Out are a bit more down-to-earth.
“For me …what everyone seems to get from this event is the sense of neighborhood and community,” Manukian said. “It brings all these people out onto the street and you mingle with your neighbors like in the old days … It’s a party, but on a neighbor level.”
Neighborhood Watch Groups, coordinating with the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department, the Los Angeles County Fire Department, and city officials and staff, will hold evening events and social gatherings as part of National Night Out. The neighborhood block parties will feature food from “a plethora of restaurants,” Manukian said, some of which will be donating food and giving out free samples.
WeHo National Night Out events include:
- Movie night – The Lego Movie. Guests are encouraged to bring lawn chairs or blankets for the free outdoor screening. Plummer Park, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd. at Fuller (grassy area near tennis courts) – 8 p.m.
- Live music, balloon art, face painting and other free “family friendly” fun – West Hollywood Gateway, 7100 Santa Monica Blvd. at La Brea (courtyard plaza) – 4:30-6:30 p.m.
- Russian Advisory Board/Plummer Park NW block party – 1205-1215 Fuller St. near Fountain – 7 p.m.
- Center City Alliance block party – Norton Avenue between Laurel and Hayworth – 6 p.m.
- Flores/DeLongpre Neighborhood Watch block party – Hart Park, 8341 DeLongpre Ave. at Flores (patio)-6:30 p.m.
- Kings Road Tenant Association block party/potluck– 801 N. Kings Rd. at Waring (patio and day room)- 5:30 p.m.
- Tri-West Area Neighborhood Watch block party – corner of Westmount and Sherwood- 6 p.m.
- West Hollywood West Residents Association block party– Sherbourne cul-de-sac at Ashcroft and Sherbourne – 6 p.m.
- Norma Triangle block party/potluck – Lloyd Place between Elevado and Norma- 6:30 p.m.
- Palm/Larrabee Neighbors block party – Harratt Street between Palm and Larrabee- 6:30 p.m.
- West Hollywood North Neighborhood Association block party – Westmount cul-de-sac, north of Santa Monica Boulevard and south of Westmount/West Knoll traffic circle – 6 p.m.
- West Hollywood Heights Neighborhood Association block party– 1230 Horn Ave. near Shoreham, Horn Plaza – 7 p.m.
Street closures (from 4-10 p.m.) for the neighborhood parties will include:
- The cul-de-sac at Sherbourne Drive and Ashcroft Avenue, with closures at San Vicente
Boulevard and Ashcroft Avenue and Ashcroft Avenue at Sherbourne Drive
- Lloyd Place from Elevado Street to Norma Place
- Westmount Drive from Sherwood up to and including the driveway of 821 Westmount Dr.
- 1205-1215 Fuller St.
- Norton Avenue between Laurel Avenue and Hayworth Avenue
- Westmount Drive cul-de-sac starting at the barricade just north of Santa Monica Boulevard up to 940 Westmount Dr., south of the Westmount Drive/West Knoll Drive traffic circle.