WINCHELLS, at Plummer Park. Winchell’s Donut House, the first one of which was opened in Temple City, CA, in 1948 by Verne H. Winchell, gave up this sign when it lost its lease on Route 66 in Upland, CA. In 2005 it was donated to the Museum of Neon Art in Glendale. Photo by Joshua Barash.
ZINKE’S, in the median on Santa Monica Blvd near Olive Drive. The Zinke’s Shoe Repair sign, built in 1928 for Zinke’s in Glendale, CA, depicts a hammer hitting a woman’s shoe. It is part of a City of West Hollywood installation along Santa Monica Boulevard, which is part of the legendary Route 66. Photo courtesy of MONA.