Opinion: We Respond to Harvey Weinstein’s Violation of White Women, Why Not to Ed Buck’s of Black Boys?

Tue, Oct 10, 2017   By Jasmyne Cannick    8 Comments

When white women are violated, America responds and the response is immediate.

The violation doesn’t have to come attached to criminal charges, lawyers don’t have to vet the accusers entire background, there aren’t editorial meetings where stories are canned because the victims are are the wrong color, wrong sex and in the wrong tax bracket and because editors are worried about their friends in elected office being embarrassed. Just the mere allegation from a white woman of her being violated in some sexual way is still enough to bring this country to its knees–and for there to be consequences.

Case in point.  Just three days after a New York Times investigation detailed numerous incidents of alleged sexual harassment by media mogul Harvey Weinstein, the board of directors at The Weinstein Company fired him.  That’s all it took.  Well, three days and a laundry list of white women who claimed the powerful film producer engaged in inappropriate conduct that included sexual harassment, unwanted physical contact and sexual advances.  I cannot overlook the white women because they played an important–if not decisive role in the swift action taken on Capitol Hill all the way to the boardroom of Weinstein’s own company.

As expected, everyone from actors and producers to elected officials are falling all over themselves to either distance themselves from the situation or to jump on the bandwagon condemning Weinstein for his behavior. Former and current employees are saying they knew about his behavior.  There are reports of clients of the Weinstein Co. threatening to stop working with the company if Harvey Weinstein was still associated with it and the Republican National Committee has put out a national call for Democrats to “return dirty Harvey Weinstein cash.

Harvey Weinstein

Meanwhile, right next door in West Hollywood, just two months after a Black gay man was found dead in his home of a crystal meth overdose–it’s business as usual for a prominent Democratic donor who is alleged to have engaged in some inappropriate conduct of his own.  Like Weinstein, Ed Buck is a white man of means with a laundry list of victims who have come forward with stories about a man who they say has a Tuskegee Experiment like fetish which includes calling Black men the n-word and shooting drugs into young Black men that he picks up off the street or via dating hookup websites.

Gemmel Moore was found dead of a crystal meth overdose in Ed Buck’s home on July 27. At the time, his death was immediately classified as an accidental methamphetamine overdose by the coroner.  Moore was a 27-year-old Black gay male who worked as an escort while Buck is 63-year-old well known white gay male Democratic donor. Now while most people would not be able to explain away a dead body in their house and have the police accept it, in Buck’s case he was able to do just that but now the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department’s homicide bureau is taking a closer look after Moore’s personal journal was published.

In his journal, Moore wrote, “I honestly don’t know what to do. I’ve become addicted to drugs and the worst one at that,” a December entry reads. “Ed Buck is the one to thank. He gave me my first injection of crystal meth it was very painful, but after all the troubles, I became addicted to the pain and fetish/fantasy.”

“My life is at an alltime [sic] high right now & I mean that from all ways. I ended up back at Buck [sic] house again and (CLICK HERE TO READ MORE).

Tagged , ,

Jasmyne Cannick

About Jasmyne Cannick

Jasmyne Cannick is a nationally known writer and commentator on political, race and social issues. She was selected as one of Essence magazine’s 25 Women Shaping the World, one of the Most Influential African-Americans in Los Angeles Under 40. Follow her on Twitter @Jasmyne and online at jasmyneonline.com.

View all posts by Jasmyne Cannick →

1. Jimmy PalmieriFri, Oct 13, 2017 at 8:48 pm

Well, there’s four minutes I’ll never get back.

2. RandyThu, Oct 12, 2017 at 4:17 pm

I definitely think this is a stretch to compare these two situations and make them about race, gender, or class, even.

Weinstein is famous. He’s interacted with legions of journalists, celebrities and other people in the industry. Even those that didn’t know (or hear rumors) of him being a sexual predator knew that he was a pretty awful man, who strong-armed and pushed people constantly. What we are seeing in the media isn’t a testament to defending white women, for the most part. We are seeing a release of pent up anger, and release. They finally get to say what they want about Weinstein, without worrying about repercussion. Because now that everyone is talking, he can’t sue each and everyone of them, and his credibility is out the window. And this is, so far, 16 womens’ stories. That’s a lot to chew on.

I agree that Moore’s case should have been handled better before the activists came to town. I just don’t see how comparing these situations has any relevance.

3. CA NativeWed, Oct 11, 2017 at 11:33 pm

What a stretch. This is crossing from tragic to a drum beat of persecution.

Here’s a bulletin for the author: Gay men have the right to have consensual sex. It is no longer criminal. And yes, most of us self respecting gay men prefer it that way.

Sex workers even have the right to have consensual sex . Some use drugs. And some make bad decisions and suffer terrible consequences.

4. Personal ResponsibilityWed, Oct 11, 2017 at 10:36 pm

To all of those familiar with the behavior of Mr. Buck: “silence is complicity”. And as Vice President Biden underscored today: “Abuse of power whether mental, physical or economic is the greatest sin”.

5. WEHOTue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:28 pm

Does She Own Stock in Wehoville? I seriously can not understand your fascination with this story. Ive also worked in DC politics for a decade and never heard of this woman

6. JJTue, Oct 10, 2017 at 7:03 pm

I am a white man. I have NEVER treated anyone other than how I would want to be treated myself. I live by the Golden Rule. I don’t care what color someone is, what sex there are, what sexual preference they have, etc. etc. – everyone gets treated with respect and kindness. So why am I constantly judged by the color of my skin? Because of the actions of a few that are also white? That’s the very definition of racism. Stop grouping all white people – men especially – in one pot.
    It’s not always about race. That is unless you make a living off of it like this woman does.
    Most times it’s about PERSONAL RESPONSIBILITY.
    This kid that died – whether he was black, white or orange – died because of bad personal decisions. He paid the ultimate price for his lack in judgement. But it HAS to be about race because the bad thing that happened, happened to a black person and the other person was white. I’m so sick and tired of this racist conclusion. Lady, get over yourself. Instead of trying to divide people, how about talking to young men and woman about the dangers of drugs? That would be a responsible, good thing to do.

7. JDTue, Oct 10, 2017 at 1:29 pm

OMG. So now female prejudice is a thing and we don’t respond loudly enough when it’s men who are harmed by consensual sex. And nonrich privilege is a thing. A super rich guy gets fired in three days but an upper middle class guy gets due process. I guess we’re supposed to ignore more women and let more rich people get a pass on their bad behavior for justice’s sake. I feel so bad for Harvey Weinstein after reading this, if only he had harassed men instead of women or been some guys of ordinary means, he’d still have a job.

8. wakeyTue, Oct 10, 2017 at 12:24 pm

“the good fortune of being born white and female”? I know a lot of white females who have gone through hell thanks to men. In the workplace, at home, in society, on and on. Males more often than not try to dominate in many ways, including dividing the groups they oppress. See that and don’t participate.