Man Who Died in Jump from Orlando Avenue Building Identified as Gregory Paul Friedman

Mon, Aug 07, 2017   By Staff    32 Comments

Apparent suicide victim entering 710 N. Orlando Ave. (Facebook)

The L.A. County Coroner’s Office has identified the young man who jumped from the building at 710 N.

Gregory Paul Friedman (Photo from LinkedIn)

Orlando Ave. last Friday afternoon as Gregory Paul Friedman, 27. Friedman lived in Santa Monica and worked at Laurel & Wolf in West Hollywood. The jump was an apparent suicide, although the Coroner’s Office has not yet ruled on a cause of death.

A video showed Friedman’s body falling down into the courtyard of the three-story building at 710 N. Orlando Ave., which is between Willoughby and Melrose, just outside West Hollywood city limits.

A photo posted by a building resident on Facebook showed Friedman entering the building wearing a white shirt and sneakers and black pants or jeans. Another photo showed him lying in the courtyard, surrounded by officers from the L.A. Police Department’s Wilshire Division and Los Angeles firefighters.

The LAPD Dispatch Office said a call came in around 1:30 Friday reporting the incident.

Tagged , , , , ,

1. Corrin S.Wed, Sep 06, 2017 at 3:49 pm

This is not journalism. As seen in the comments above, Greg was clearly a very much loved and kind human being. I don’t understand the objectives of this article other than to hurt those who were closest to him, who I am sure are already grieving. By showing the moments prior to his death what are you really accomplishing?? As a regular reader i encourage you to take this entire post down. Capturing someone in their darkest moments under which we know nothing about, nor deserve to know anything about is terrible. Again, this entire situation seems tragically sad and not something that I think as readers we need to know.

2. Drew DesnickSun, Aug 13, 2017 at 5:38 pm

Went to elementary, middle and high school with Greg in Illinois. Great guy, popular yet still down to earth and friendly to everyone including myself. Shocked to see this. RIP Brother 🙏🏼

3. CarrieJackson ReidSat, Aug 12, 2017 at 6:32 am

As the summer nanny of this wonderful man when he was 4 and 5, I can say without a doubt, that he was incredibly sweet, extremely bright, and so special. One of my favorite times of day was putting him to bed and hearing him giggle when I sang bedtime songs to him. He was passionate about his Karate at that age, and practiced until his form was perfect. Mitch, I am painfully sorry for you and your family’s loss. He will greatly be missed. – Carrie

4. Gerry JacobsFri, Aug 11, 2017 at 8:35 am

My family just had a conference call about Greg, and we are all distraught and saddened. Terrible news. Greg was a wonderful, thoughtful, talented, fun, loyal, awesome guy.

5. Josh KurpiesThu, Aug 10, 2017 at 10:38 pm

Mitch Friedman and all those who knew Greg, I extend my deepest sympathies. Thank you for sharing with us a little about Greg and his kindness to others so that we can share in his memory. Your families will remain in my thoughts….

6. Charlie HilbrantThu, Aug 10, 2017 at 2:22 pm

I had the pleasure of being a videographer at a recent family event and I recall Greg being kind and filled with a happy and energetic spirit during that event. May he be carried on forever in the hearts of those who love him.

7. AmyWed, Aug 09, 2017 at 6:32 pm

Mitch, I am so sorry for your loss. I worked with Greg through rugby as the team Physio. This breaks my heart in so many ways. Your nephew was a special person and it was an honor and pleasure to work with him and get to know him both on and off the rugby pitch. I am sad I will not see his beautiful smile again. Amy

8. Sarah HowardWed, Aug 09, 2017 at 3:56 pm

Mitch Friedman- my son was a childhood friend of Gregs. Greg was a kind, thoughtful and gifted individual. I am shocked! My troubled sister ended her life 30+ years ago but the loss and vulnerability of life stays with me. Thank you for being a voice for the family. This is such terrible news!

9. Woody McBreairtyWed, Aug 09, 2017 at 2:18 pm

Thank you Mr. Friedman. My sympathy to you & all of Gregory’s family. I am genuinely saddened & sorry

10. Len OstrowWed, Aug 09, 2017 at 2:17 pm

Mitch, we are thinking deeply of you/yours. Kat and I are so saddened; and now even more so that this unimaginable horror is amplified by this article. All our love to you and the rest, Mitch! Len/Kat Ostrow

11. MartiWed, Aug 09, 2017 at 12:48 pm

Mitch, I am a friend of Casey’s and I am deeply sorry for your loss. I did not know your nephew personally, however, I do know his partner Casey and she is full of life and such a kind person. I assume they were a lot alike from reading your words. Thank you for sharing and know that there is a lot of support for you and your family during this extremely difficult time. May you all find peace this week in Chicago. Marti

12. Mitch FriedmanTue, Aug 08, 2017 at 7:00 pm

Thank you, Mr. McBreairty, for the thoughtful questions you raise. I wish we had full answers. I am Greg’s uncle, at some distance from the events. I’ve heard some facts, but none of it adds up to answers. As best we can tell it was an impulse. There were background things, including the pressures of life that sometimes stack up, and a series of seemingly small mistakes and mishaps that were giving him a rough week in an otherwise wonderful and promising life. He was widely and deeply loved, and warranted it. Had another hour or day passed, no doubt everything would have seemed great. Perhaps he was too young to know that about life. He was also a deeply caring person who treated everyone with kindness. He observed and thought about what was happening around him. I can’t imagine he knew the misery this action would cause for those he loved.

So what lessons can anybody draw? I wish I knew. It’s the right question to ask. If only Greg were still here to help us figure it out.

13. Larry BlockTue, Aug 08, 2017 at 5:50 pm

So sad there are few words to express. My condolences to the family and friends.

14. RGTue, Aug 08, 2017 at 2:34 pm

This is an example of terrible, indecent journalism. It’s in poor taste and is extremely disrespectful not to mention harmful to the victim’s family. Companies advertising on this site should be aware that they are by association guilty and shameful. If I were in charge of their corporate reputations I would take action to disassociate and stop spending ad dollars on wehoville. Reporting the news is important, assuming “factual” details and posting photos like these is not news and should be stopped.

15. Woody McBreairtyTue, Aug 08, 2017 at 12:07 pm

More importantly is the story of this young life, what made him feel like doing this, if those who knew him saw any signs or if he actually gave any indication to anyone that his mindset was disturbed & troubled enough to do this. Maybe there is something to be learned from this that could help others. I understand it’s hindsight but it would be good if this young man’s death helped others learn lessons from it & that he might not have died so in vain. Very tragic & sad

16. RandyMon, Aug 07, 2017 at 11:55 pm

Joshua88, yes, they have that right, but they can also be sensitive about what they determine is “newsworthy.” What photos to share, and details to expose.

No, his friends and family don’t “need” to see a photo of his dead body on the ground to know what happened, or understand how serious of a subject depression is.

Comparing this situation to our country’s military operations is lunacy.

17. DavidMon, Aug 07, 2017 at 10:11 pm

May he rest in peace. The photo of him laying on the ground shows no respect for the deceased and his family. My prayers go to his soul and his family.

18. Larrabee GrouchMon, Aug 07, 2017 at 9:14 pm

I agree the photo of the dead body – now removed – was inappropriate.
    But I’m glad Wehoville is reporting on suicides. Most media shun from it.
    At the very least, we learn about this young man’s story and can honor his memory. Maybe there is a lesson for others.

19. Joshua88Mon, Aug 07, 2017 at 6:14 pm

I am sorry, Mr Friedman, for the death of your friend.

Life is full of crap you – we – don’t want to see, but should.

The paper has the right to publish and you (all) have a right to complain.

Perhaps if we treated war this gingerly, people might be compelled to think that wars are bloodless, easy, and being fought by people you don’t know, over “there.”
    Yeah, after almost sixteen years, we are still in Afghanistan.

20. SEMon, Aug 07, 2017 at 4:17 pm

While I believe this is indeed news and deserves being reported, perhaps in the future these sorts of stories can be reported in more sensitive ways. If this is a local blog, specializing in local news, then we need to assume that friends and loved ones might be reading the articles. The inclusion of video, as well as a grainy security photo of the person who has died, feels sensational, and I don’t really see how they ultimately add to the content. I understand others will shoot footage from their cell phones and likely upload the content to social media, but perhaps we can let readers search for that rather than be confronted with it.

21. DuncanMon, Aug 07, 2017 at 1:53 pm

As a friend of the victim, I kindly request that you remove this article. Thank you.

22. HannahSun, Aug 06, 2017 at 6:15 pm

Please remove this article. How horrible for his family and friends. You have no journalistic morals, this is not news.

23. RandySun, Aug 06, 2017 at 1:11 pm

Thank you for removing that photo, which I luckily didn’t see.

Now, please do the right thing, and remove the link to this awful video you linked to on this article, showing this guy in complete despair. The article was enough. Seeing this guy at one of the lowest moments of his life is not “newsworthy.” This is not TMZ.

Anyone reading this, please don’t click on the link on this article. Please.

24. Frederick Keith SchmidtSun, Aug 06, 2017 at 12:49 pm

So incredibly sad. I pray for the family. 🙁

25. Mitch FriedmanSun, Aug 06, 2017 at 9:14 am

As a close relative of the young man, I want to thank those who commented above on behalf of decency. Whether he was a “victim” or not remains unknown. What we do know is that he was an incredible person, thoughtful, intelligent, a gifted and accomplished athlete, with everything going his way and no history or indications of a problem. And we know that we’re a family stunned, shocked, in grief, and with no plausible explanation for what happened Friday. A responsible journalist would consider such things.

26. JJSat, Aug 05, 2017 at 1:46 pm

ok WeHoMikey…let’s nitpick. I’m sure you can pick up what I’m putting down. It was wrong and in bad taste. period. Describe it however you like.

27. TimSat, Aug 05, 2017 at 1:19 pm

How did a building resident get a hold of the building security camera footage?

28. EESat, Aug 05, 2017 at 10:51 am

You can be a victim of your own actions, @wehomikey

29. WeHoMikeyFri, Aug 04, 2017 at 10:55 pm

If he’s the one who jumped – by choice – is he really a ‘victim’?? Shouldn’t there be a different term here?

30. JJFri, Aug 04, 2017 at 9:19 pm

Yeah, can’t believe you showed an image of the guy laying on the ground after he jumped. You didn’t do the right thing here. Show the victim some respect.

31. MBFri, Aug 04, 2017 at 8:42 pm

Was it necessary to post a picture of this poor guy lying on the ground?

32. Woody McBreairtyFri, Aug 04, 2017 at 8:32 pm

That is horribly sad. He seems so young & nice looking, can’t help but wonder what on earth made him feel like doing this. Very sorry to see