Leading Political Figures to Participate in the Resist March

Tue, May 30, 2017   By Staff    16 Comments

#resist, resist march, la prideA number of leading political figures will participate in the Resist March scheduled for June 11.

Those scheduled so far include U.S. Congresswoman Nancy Pelosi, the House minority leader; U.S. Congressman Adam Schiff, whose district includes West Hollywood; U.S. Congresswoman Maxine Waters; West Hollywood Mayor John Heilman; transgender activist Bamby Salcedo; Chad Griffin, president of the Human Rights Campaign, and activist musicians Haim and Adam Lambert and Margaret Cho.

The Resist March, which will replace this year’s L.A. Pride parade, will begin at Hollywood Boulevard and Highland at 8 a.m. There will be an opening ceremony and remarks at 9 a.m. The march is scheduled to being between 9:30 and 10 a.m. It will end at Santa Monica Boulevard and LaPeer in West Hollywood with a rally and other speakers. More speakers are expected to be announced.

Brian Pendleton, organizer of the Resist March, is quoted in a press release as saying its mission is “to march in unity with those who believe that America’s strength is its diversity. Not just LGBTQ+ people but all Americans and dreamers will be wrapped in the Rainbow Flag with unique, diverse, intersectional voices gathering together. We are lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and queer. We are people of color. We are people of different faiths. We are people of all genders and no gender. We are immigrants. We are dreamers. We are people with disabilities. We are parents. We are allies. The #ResistMarch is to send a clear message that we will resist being divided from each other.”

Tagged , , , , , , , ,

1. Joshua88Tue, Jun 06, 2017 at 6:48 am

I have remotely considered it.

2. Martin PalMon, Jun 05, 2017 at 4:19 pm

So, run for office then, Joshua88.

3. Joshua88Thu, Jun 01, 2017 at 4:13 pm

I am active every day. I resist this awful, horrible, and terrible president – who just committed the ultimate show of resistance to science by pulling out of that half-assed Paris Accord today.

Call me naive, nelconnie, but the sooner the Dems own up to their forty-years of destroying the middle class, the poor, the Unions, the Blacks, and anybody other than the entrepreneur/management class, the sooner we can get back to shared prosperity and the sooner we can move towards more equality and opportunity.

The extreme right doesn’t need me to sow more division to the above so-called Democratic party – this resistance was calcified by Sen Sanders, but people like the marvelous Thomas Franks put words into such lovely prose with his latest book (2016) Listen, Liberal.

If you are offended by what I’ve written, I suggest that you look into your own soul (or your surroundings) and tell me if you think the party of the underdog is well represented by establishment Dems today. Agitate, my ass! I am fighting for the same things that you are, but I jumped ahead of you by a few years.

*If you are not ashamed, then you aren’t paying close enough attention.

4. Tom demilleThu, Jun 01, 2017 at 1:32 pm

IF YOU SEE SO!METHING,SAY SOMETHING!!!!!!

5. MSThu, Jun 01, 2017 at 11:32 am

So we are replacing an hours long parade and celebration of gay life with a short march. So much for visibility. This is so misguided.

6. ObserverWed, May 31, 2017 at 10:25 pm

The idea of an Equality March seems like a more productive way to get people to the table which eventually has to happen no matter what. Resist seems to bring out too many negatives.

7. Brian HoltWed, May 31, 2017 at 9:31 pm

I was originally against this. I thought it was a waste of money. But now I have come to see the value and the empowerment opportunity it will provide. I’m still not happy about the added expense. But rather than bitch and moannd sit on the sidelines, I will take part and do my part and march.

8. John GileWed, May 31, 2017 at 3:43 pm

Looking forward to the March! And thanks to Brian and the committee for putting time, money, love, and passion into Resist March. Please know your efforts are noticed and appreciated and this will be a moving and purposeful March — and a beginning of new coalitions and important relationships as the Resistance moves forward! Peace…

9. AMWed, May 31, 2017 at 2:43 pm

I think definitely if Heilman is included as a “leading political figure” as a local, so should Duran, D’Amico, Meister & Horvath. They are all equally our local political leaders & all of their presences will be equally appreciated.

10. 90069Wed, May 31, 2017 at 2:11 pm

I am surprised the march is so early in the morning. I am not sure how turnout is going to be now. You would think that they could have ultimately done the Protest/Parade combo since the timing is so awkward. I do hope it goes well and the name is regrettable but ultimately we DO need to #Resist Cheeto Hitler aka Donald Drumph at ever step and turn.

11. AronWed, May 31, 2017 at 10:55 am

There should be resistance to this resist march. Orher cities have Equality Marches. It’s one thing to have a resistance Movement but replacing anything pride with it is ridiculous. It just shows how pride has lost all meaning to the city of West Hollywood. It Goes against the unique way that LGBT communities have fought and created awareness for equality. The organizer also comes off as self serving, serving his own ego, not caring about those who resist this change. It’s disrespectful to LGBT history. Absolute horrible messaging. All I see is stupidity with this decision to replace.

12. WeHoMikeyWed, May 31, 2017 at 10:06 am

If there’s something here you don’t like (looking at joshua88 and shadylady), step up and make something happen.

13. SueWed, May 31, 2017 at 5:52 am

ADAM Lambert is a perfect choice to carry the flag of RESIST!

14. nelconnieTue, May 30, 2017 at 9:44 pm

I can’t be there in person but I will be there in spirit. I wish you all the best of luck getting this fascist autocracy out of your government and restoring humanity & world leadership to your country. People like Joshua88 – whether deliberately or out of naive self-righteousness – do nothing to solve anything and only cause further divisions which is the goal of the extreme right. Please do not buy into it. This is NOTHING to do with partisan politics. This is about ordinary decent human beings marching to affirm the value of decency, equality, compassion, understanding, peace, truth, democracy & the laws & values enshrined in the US constitution, over hate, greed, bigotry, xenophobia, misogyny, oppression, Nazism, despotism, dictatorship & fear-mongering. There will be agitators at the marches, just like there are agitators in comment sections. Be safe & don’t buy into their BS. Interesting to see Adam Lambert will be there. He must be very distressed by recent events to get involved at that level. Kudos to him and everyone else.

15. Sherry (@shadylady1031)Tue, May 30, 2017 at 7:17 pm

Glad to know that Adam Lambert will participate in the resist March 6/11.

16. Joshua88Tue, May 30, 2017 at 6:52 pm

All that is well and good. I would also add, a little presumptuously, of course, that we are not marching as Capitalists, Corporatists, and Neoliberals, are we? I certainly hope that we are not celebrating them, either,

I would go just to ask when the Russians are coming. They are coming, aren’t they? This is so much more than about diversity. As soon as the obstinate Dems decided to show (except, I will give the right to our Congressman) this became about Resistance to Trump.

I would march for diversity and I would march against POTUS, but the Ancien Régime doesn’t realize, as so clearly stated by Mrs Clinton at her last speech, that they are part of the movement we resist.

Pah!